Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My previous employer stopped paying me and all of my fellow…

Customer Question
My previous employer stopped...

My previous employer stopped paying me and all of my fellow employees 5/12/17 . Each week for 4 weeks we were promised we would be paid the next week that there was a problem with the funds. He had just bought the business a few months before. On 6/21 the store manager locked the store up and told everyone not to come back because even she was not being paid. Ever since then we hear from either our employer or his lawyer advising they almost have the situation worked out, they have been telling us that since May. Is there anything we can do?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Illinois

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I was an at will full time employee

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Nothing else I can think of, thanks.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/12/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. This appears to be a classic breach of contract because they did not pay you as promised. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract (click here). It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court.

Another thing you should strongly consider is a wage hour complaint with the IL Dept. of Labor. If you click here, you can complain that you have not been paid your wages and the state can compel them to do so.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer