How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5235
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My previous employer stopped paying me and all of my fellow

Customer Question

My previous employer stopped paying me and all of my fellow employees 5/12/17 . Each week for 4 weeks we were promised we would be paid the next week that there was a problem with the funds. He had just bought the business a few months before. On 6/21 the store manager locked the store up and told everyone not to come back because even she was not being paid. Ever since then we hear from either our employer or his lawyer advising they almost have the situation worked out, they have been telling us that since May. Is there anything we can do?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Illinois
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: I was an at will full time employee
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Nothing else I can think of, thanks.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. This appears to be a classic breach of contract because they did not pay you as promised. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract (click here). It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court.

Another thing you should strongly consider is a wage hour complaint with the IL Dept. of Labor. If you click here, you can complain that you have not been paid your wages and the state can compel them to do so.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.