Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I hired a man doe does remodeling, I gave him 4000.00 for a…

Customer Question
I hired a man...

I hired a man doe does remodeling, I gave him 4000.00 for a deposit on a 7500.00 job that he agreed to do. He worked 4 days then walked the job. Because he wanted draw without doing hardly any of the work. I gave him deposit on August 12 its now 9/12/17. He has not done very much at all.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I supplied all of materials so this was labor only.

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/12/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

This appears to be a classic breach of contract because he did not finish the job. A breach of contract just simply means that one party was obligated to perform and they have either have not performed or have said that they will not perform. Typically, the aggrieved party is entitled to be returned to the same position they were in before the breach. In your case, you may be able to recover any money that he did not earn before he walked off the job and the difference between what you paid and what you would have to pay someone else to finish the work. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract (click here). It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If this doesn’t work, sadly, the only other option is to either go through an informal mediation or file a lawsuit in your local court.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.