How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12947
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I worked for a New York company from my home in

Customer Question

I worked for a New York company from my home in Massachusetts. I was recently laid off (after only five months), my job was eliminated. Company rules in NY say I had to have worked for a full year at the company before I was eligible for a pay out for unused vacation. Is the NY company obligated to provide a vacation payout since 98% of my work was performed in Massachusetts? Thank you
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I worked for a company in NY and I live in Massachusetts as it says above.
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No, I think I laid it out pretty well above. Thank you.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

The answer is very likely yes. Generally, a state will apply its own laws to the employment if the employment is occurring within its jurisdiction. This is true regardless of where the employer is based. As MA law requires employers to pay out all accrued vacation, this is likely something that could be recovered by filing an MA wage claim, which you can do here.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Likely isn't helpful to me. The company in New York states that it will not provide a vacation payout unless the employee has been with the company for one year. But I live in Massachusetts. Am I or am I not entitled to a payout for unused vacation time. If you don't know or are unsure please let me know.
Thank you
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I do not want a call and I want the $42 charged to my VISA refunded immediately. I signed up for a 30-day free trial!
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

I believe this is the question that I answered? I apologize if my answer was not clear. What I am saying is that if you work in MA, MA law should apply regardless of the state your employer is based out of. Since MA law requires the p payment of all accrued vacation, this should be what you are entitled to.

I hope this clarifies.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

You are very welcome and sorry if my answer was initially unclear. Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns. If I have answered your question, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service (using the stars at the top of the page) so that I may receive credit for assisting you.

Very best wishes.