Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I recently was fired from Amazon, Windsor Ct. They owe me…

Customer Question
I recently was fired...

I recently was fired from Amazon, Windsor Ct. They owe me two weeks pay. My pay check was due Sept 8 by direct deposit. I have been trying to call them but have had no success.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Connecticut

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time, non-union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No. I just want the money that's owed to me.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/12/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Under CT law Section 31-71c, an employer must issue a final paycheck, no later than the following business day if you were terminated. Thus, if they have not done so, then they are in violation of CT's wage hour laws.

You may want to consider just writing a formal demand letter to your former supervisor to get your money. There’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for a demand letter (click here). It only costs $10 and it is way cheaper than litigation. You may also want to file wage hour claim with the CT dept. of labor as well by clicking here.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer