Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I live in Illinois. My job as a Director of Operations was

Customer Question
eliminated in May 2017. I...
I live in Illinois. My job as a Director of Operations was eliminated in May 2017. I just heard they hired someone else to take my position. Do you have a case for a law suit?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: State of Illinois. From what I understand they cannot hire anyone for one year after the position was eliminated but I could be wrong.
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: All employment in Illinois is at will. It was a full time position. I am not sure if I answer your question.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Is it going to be a free consultation? I want the lawyer to know that I signed an agreement with them not to sue them for discrimination in order to get my severance pay.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/12/2017
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 2 months ago
John, Employment Lawyer

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

There is no law that states they cannot hire someone for your position within a year. There could be a contractual stipulation that they not rehire someone, perhaps in the agreement with you or your representative if you're in the union. In any event you signed a release of claims against them to get your severance payment. Thus, you could not sue them for this anyway. Thus, in short, there is no viable claim for you in this matter, unless they were violating the severance agreement with yourself or your representative.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.

John, Employment Lawyer