Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I attended the meeting today with my employer. HR and My…

Customer Question
I attended the meeting today...
I attended the meeting today with my employer. HR and My boss' boss were present via a conference call. So it was just my boss and I physically present in her office. She was rolling her eyes and giving me rude looks every time I would say something. HR wanted me to go over everything I had already typed up and emailed to them. I declined to rehash everything as it is on paper for everyone to see and I did not misunderstand what was said to me. I informed everyone that I had consulted with and attorney and pending how this meeting went that I may file a claim for gender and race discrimination with EEOC. At that point HR asked me to step out of the room and they spoke privately with Toni (my boss) and Shannon (Toni's boss). When I was asked to rejoin them I was told that they will be consulting their legal department and will get back with me. I was told that I was welcome to return to work and that Toni would provide me with my schedule of patients to see. I told them that I do not feel comfortable working under Toni because I fear she will retaliate against me for my complaints against her. I told them I would like to consult with an attorney before returning to work. I am so nervous and don't know what to do. Should I just resign since that is what they want me to do?
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/12/2017
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 11 months ago
John, Employment Lawyer

They've offered you a position to work at so, generally, you 'd have to accept that position or any claim of discrimination would be nominal (i.e., there'd be no cash damages involved). My best thought is that you file the discrimination charges, retun to work and if anything adverse happens with your employment you then have an even more clear case of retaliation.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.