Barrister, Lawyer
Experience:  16 years practicing attorney
19958803

I work for a company that is not doing to good, but they

Customer Question

I work for a company that is not doing to good, but they told us that even though things are bad that if they had to let people go we will be informed but as of now we are still doing good and there is lots of work and this is by our directors. But us employees are very worried for our jobs we are consistently harassed by managers written up for things they find months later that really doesn't matter, because of this workers are leaving to other jobs and now we found that a manager is making a list of people she is planning on letting go. When we just had a meeting that the company sees a bright future and as of right now we shouldn't be worried. I just want to know if this is legal. We haven't gone to HR because they do not keep our meetings confidential.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Pennsylvania
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nothing else
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Barrister replied 1 month ago.

Hello and welcome! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney and will try my best to help with your situation. There may be a slight delay in my responses as I type out an answer or reply.

.

Are you asking if it is legal for a manager to write up an employee for a violation?

.

Or for a manager to keep a list of employees he would like fired?

.

If so, then the answer is yes to both. The company sets guidelines and rules and if employees violate them, they can be written up. However, if the event is far in the past, it shouldn't matter as much as long as it isn't a continuing thing. But there is no set time limit for writing up a violation unless the company handbook or HR policies specifically impose a limit.

.

As for the manager keeping a list of people, while that is mean spirited, there wouldn't be anything illegal about that either. It is possible that upper management has told managers to identify employees that might be let go to cut staff and costs if things don't turn around. But the list doesn't mean anything unless the manager has the power to fire someone all by themselves.

.

.

thanks