Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I am taking a leave to fulfill internship requirements and

would be away from work...
I am taking a leave to fulfill internship requirements and would be away from work for apprx 3 months. Can I use my FMLA for that or does it have to be medical.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I'm in Michigan and my employer is aware that I will be attending school. I'm just trying to secure my position.
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: I believe it's at will but not sure. There's no union.. I'm full time.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That's it. Thank you.
9/12/2017

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

FMLA is solely for the use for "qualified medical conditions" meaning that in order to use the 12 weeks of FMLA protection you or an immediate relative must have a qualifying medical condition that requires you to miss work due to that condition. So, I am afraid that if the employer is aware you are attending school and if you do not have a medical condition, FMLA would not be available to you.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Okay, thank you.

The employer, at their discretion can simply grant you a leave of absence if the school is ultimately going to be used to benefit the employer.

Law Educator, Esq., Attorney