Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am a hospice nurse and on Sept 1st my 10 year old daughter…

I am a hospice...

I am a hospice nurse and on Sept 1st my 10 year old daughter attempted suicide. when I returned to work the following Wednesday my boss asked me to resign because she said it seems as though I have a lot going on at home and a good mother would stay home with their child I told her my home depends on 2 incomes and I love my job and don't want to resign She went on to say that my daughter probably tried to kill herself for no reason because kids are dumb and that weak women raise weak children

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Virginia I filed a complaint with my boss' boss and was put on PTO until tomorrow when I attend a scheduled meeting with my boss, her boss, myself and HR

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will and full-time I have a coworker who experienced the death of her fiancé a couple months ago and my boss told her to take as much time as she needs off and I believe did not make her use her PTO

I have been with the company new century hospice (part of curo health services) since January 2017. I have been 100% dependable and have not called out of work at all until my daughter attempted suicide. Upon returning to work my boss told me how disruptive my calling out was and that she did not call our back up nurse to fill in because it was unfair to her. She also went on to tell me that I need to teach my daughter leadership skills by putting her in girls scouts because that is what she did with her daughter and her daughter is a leader. She also said that my daughter needs to learn to deal with life because she can't try to kill herself anytime she gets upset about something. She said if this were a government job then me taking time off for my daughters appointments would not be an issue but that this is not a government job and she needs a nurse that will be there
Do I have any rights? Can she discriminate against me because of my daughters illness?
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call.
Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Also my boss seems to my favor African American coworkers. One of my coworkers has a husband that is terminally ill and she takes of time to take her husband to doctor appointments and she was not asked to resign and my boss has had no issues with her missing work to care for her husband. Another African American coworker recently lost her fiancé and was told by my boss to take off as much time as she needs and I believe that she was not required to use PTO for the time she did take off. My boss also made the comment that she does not agree with biracial marriages and she does not want white people in her family and that all white women want to sleep with a black man. She has also made remarks about my physique
9/12/2017
John, Employment Lawyer

You have a gender discrimination claim against her in that she cannot discriminate against you for not being the sterotypical "stay at home" mother . You likewise have a race discrimination claim against her for treating you adversely to black employees. I would be clear to mention that at your meeting ...that you will be filing charges with the EEOC if this is not remedied.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation – simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

John, Employment Lawyer