Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I believe my employer has been finding fault with me once he

Customer Question
found out I have Asperger...
I believe my employer has been finding fault with me once he found out I have Asperger, and now he has told me I am no longer an employee but a contract worker and has cut my pay and taken away most of my job duties. Can I file for unemployment? Can I file a discrimination claim?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: California
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: At will, full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/11/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Yes, if you believe this is happening specifically because you revealed your medical diagnosis and not because of any underlying conduct on your part, that would be illegal discrimination and you could file a complaint with the Department of Fair Employment & Housing. The DFEH will investigate and attempt to mediate a resolution with your employer. That not forthcoming, they will either file a lawsuit on your behalf or issue you a "right to sue" letter, which will enable you to sue in civil court with the assistance of an attorney. See here to initiate the process.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer