How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Legal Eagle Your Own Question
Legal Eagle
Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 5267
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Legal Eagle is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My employer of 4 years now wants me sign a non compete

Customer Question

my employer of 4 years now wants me sign a non compete agreement for 6 years after i leave the company.can i alter the paperwork to say 6 mths? or sign a different name? i just want a way out without getting fired. the account will just scan the non compete ,file it and probably not read it
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: arizona
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: full time.salary job
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the fee?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. I am also an Arizona native. The answer to your question is that you can change the agreement to 6 months and hand it back to your employer. Generally, parties to a contract are presumed to have agreed to the terms of the contract they sign. Only if they can prove that they were the victims of fraud, duress, or if the contract was illegal, then they are going to be bound to the terms of the agreement. Also, parties are allowed to reject offers, even from their employer, and make a counter-offer. If you make the change to 6 months and the employer agrees to the terms, then a court will probably enforce that agreement with the six month term because their original offer of the non-compete for 6 years would have been expressly rejected by you and if they accepted the 6 month arrangement, they would be held to that (likely).

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
what im saying is the owner will probably not read the changes i made.and nowhere on this agreement is his signature.the accountant will scan and file i safe by changing the term to 6 mths even though he never signed it and probably wont read it? or im i better using and signing a false name to the doc.
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 1 month ago.

I wouldn't recommend signing a false name to the doc, but if you make a change to the document before resubmitting, a judge would probably find in your favor because the employer should take the opportunity to review all employment contracts it makes with its employees in advance.