Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

A supervisor accused me of starting a petition against

Customer Question
another employee just so he...
A supervisor accused me of starting a petition against another employee just so he could get rid of me and give the other employee my position. He tried to get other employees to say it was true but they would not. He also let the employee who he wanted to have my position treat me very badly with no punishment what so ever. I didnt fight back or argue with them at all. He then laid me off and gave the other employee my job.I have never been called back and they are working. I cant help but think this is wrong and I am having a hard time dealing with this. The plant that we worked could not believe that he laid me off and wanted me there. The supervisor was new and just wanted his friend there instead of me. My production was well beyond the other guys and all of the workers liked me. My certifications are good and equal to the other guys I feel I have been wronged . I have years of experience at this plant over the other guy. Being accused of this and being treated badly in front of other workers has not only hurt my reputation but has not helped my self esteem. I feel now I should of fought back but I thought that would have not been a good example for the employees that worked under me. I felt that it would just work its self out instead I have no job. Thanks Paul
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Illinois
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: Union
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The new supervisor and the employee had just lost there jobs at another plant. When we are not in a repair outage there is only room for 4 employees they had to try to find away to get rid of me so they could have room for the guy that has my position now I was a General Foreman. So they tried to get me to fight with them but I did not.
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/11/2017
Employment Lawyer: Patrick, Esq., Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Patrick, Esq.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. I am very sorry you were let go under these circumstances. What specifically is your question? Are you asking whether this was illegal?

Im sure it may be legal but being treated the way I was cant be legal. What can be done about this.

Thank you.

It pains me to say it, but being treated the way you describe, despite being unethical and unfair, is actually not illegal. This is because very few laws govern workplace conduct. Employers and supervisors are not required to be fair or respectful. Only if the conduct is motivated by a legally protected trait, such as race or religion, will it typically be actionable, and in those cases under our civil rights laws. Otherwise, everything that you describe boils down to office politics. Nasty, unpleasant office politics, but office politics nonetheless.

I would think the owners of your company would be interested in knowing about the personal motivations of your supervisor, as those motivations are not going to be in line with the greater company mission. You may even be able to persuade your way back into a job if you can convince the owners that your termination was unjustified and personally motivated. Afterall, an employer wants to see their business succeed, and they do that by retaining the most productive and qualified employees, not by ensuring that friends work with friends.

But your only real power here is the power of persuasion. You cannot force your employer to employ you, and there is no remedy for unfair and bad treatment unless it's motivated by a protected trait as defined above, which doesn't appear to be the case here.

I hope that you find this information helpful. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

Tina, Lawyer