Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

My wife just took a new job in Kentucky. We live in Denver,

Customer Question
My wife just took...

My wife just took a new job in Kentucky. We live in Denver, Colorado. Can I get unemployment from Colorado in order to follow her until I can find a new job in Kentucky?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

We live in Colorado, and her new job is in Kentucky.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

No thank you.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/11/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Generally, according to a trusted source:

Applicants must meet the following three eligibility requirements in order to collect unemployment benefits in Colorado:

• Your past earnings must meet certain minimum thresholds.

• You must be unemployed through no fault of your own, as defined by Colorado law.

• You must be able and available to work and actively seeking employment.

So, the big issue for you is probably going to be being unemployed through no fault of your own as defined by the law. Usually, state law prohibits individuals who are terminated because of gross misconduct, violation of employer policies, or who have done something illegal from receiving unemployment benefits. Thus, if you are forced to leave a job because of a relocation, it is probable that you would receive unemployment benefits from the state of Colorado if you applied. When you find a new job, you must notify them immediately so the benefits may end.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.

How can I find out for sure if I qualify? If I simply apply for Unemployment benefits, would my current employer find out? I would not want them to know just in case I was denied benefits.
Thank you!
Gary

Good question. The only way that you would know if you qualify is if you apply for the benefits. Your employer would be notified if you did apply, unfortunately, so you'll have to be careful. However, you may be able to get some answers if you click here and contact the state ahead of making any official application. Did you have any other questions for me? If not, were you satisfied with my service today?

I'm satisfied.

Well pleasure is all mine! Further up on the you should see a chance to give me a rating. 5-stars are always appreciated, but it is definitely not required! You can also click here in the future to request me individually. Don’t forget, if you haven’t already, you can always sign up for a membership with Just Answer and start asking more questions on the cheap.

Legal Eagle, Lawyer