Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I was suspended at my corporate job for allegedly giving out…

Customer Question
I was suspended at...

I was suspended at my corporate job for allegedly giving out my boss's personal info (phone

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Oregon

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full-time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I've never had a write up or any problems at this comapany, i'm one of thier best employees. also, i'm not sure if you got the rest of the part where I was accused on official document as suspended for threatening somebody's life by giving out personal info that I don't even have.

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/10/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

If you have never been reprimanded and if you have been one of their best employees, then this appears to be a violation of the implied covenant (promise) of good faith and fair dealing. Under the Uniform Commercial Code Section 1-304, every contract comes with implied promises from both parties that they are going to be acting fairly toward one another. The failure of one party to act fairly toward the other can result in a breach of contract. Basically, you'll want to check to see if they followed their employee handbook to see if they followed the appropriate procedures in terminating you and if they did not, then you may recover for your damages.

To facilitate your situation, there’s a site that I’ve used in the past where you can find a good template for advising of a breach of contract (click here). It's a bit easier (and cheaper) than going through litigation and I have seen it be effective in the past. If you send this letter and they do not respond, then you may want to consider bringing a lawsuit after that because it will be clear they will not be willing to settle the issue.

Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.