John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

My wife and I work for the same company. We work in the same

Customer Question

My wife and I work for the same company. We work in the same shop but totally different departments. For example each dept has roughly 18 to 25 employees. we took intermittent fmla . After our fmla was closed they called us into a meeting where they told us due to our use of intermittent fmla my wife would be moved to another shop. They told us our absences put a strain on production. We told them our intermittent fmla was closed and they said they would still move forward separating us. There is a total of 5 couples who work in the same shop and only the 2 couples who took intermittent fmla would be separated . the other 3 will not be separated. Last I heard they will be moving my wife to a shop with the highest turnover. This does not seem right and feels like we are being punished. Hope I was able to explain enough
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: texas
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: i think full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  John replied 1 month ago.

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

Expert:  John replied 1 month ago.

What you are describing would be described as FMLA retaliation. In other words you and your wife are being discriminated against because of using FMLA time off. When you take time off for FMLA you're guaranteed to return to same position or a substantially similar one. However, you cannot be retaliated against in terms and conditions of your employment for taking such time off. This is exactly what occurred in the situation because the employer is inherently stating you taking your time off strained the company and as such they are moving one or both of you two different departments. While it's not a guarantee that your new positions will be substantially different, that is not the issue. Rather, because you took time off they are changing your employment, which is retaliation. You should consider filing a complaint with the Department of Labor or retaining a private attorney to pursue a FMLA retaliation claim.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

Expert:  John replied 1 month ago.

I am sending you this follow-up to determine if you require further assistance with your matter. I believe I have answered your question to the best of my abilities. I truly enjoy helping others with my knowledge and experience, and I believe I provide a valuable service. If you agree that my response was of value to you, please support my endeavor to share my knowledge by providing a positive rating. You have already been charged the full amount for your question. Providing a positive rating will not cost you any additional charge, but it will permit the website to credit me with answering your question. If you do not rate the answer positively, the website does not credit me with answering your question. Thanks.