Legal Eagle, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed to practice before state and federal court
97407003

I have witnessed my district denying, bending, and

Customer Question

I have witnessed my district denying, bending, and manipulating special education laws, I am scared for my job because I was threatening by my then administrator in front of the union
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Michigan
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: union, full-time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes, I have no union support they work together
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Legal Eagle replied 1 month ago.

Hello! I am a licensed attorney who specializes in education law, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today.

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. What specific questions did you have? I have an idea about your situation, but I don’t want to make any assumptions. Additionally, Most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no

Hi, what specific questions did you have for me regarding this?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I cant afford a phone call i will type, it did not say it costed

I reviewed your situation, but could not tell what specific questions you had.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
my district practice, does not implement most special education laws, when I protest im blackballed, and written up , over other issues and my union does not support me, they work together should I be a whistle blower

I see what you mean. If you have reason to believe that they are violating the law, then you are probably going to need to speak with the DOE and the parents about what's going on. For instance, special education law allows the parents of a disabled child to file for due process, meaning that it will force the school to implement their due process procedures. Otherwise, if you have a compliance complaint, you can contact the U.S. Department of Education and the Office for Civil Rights will investigate the matter thoroughly. I have worked with the OCR in the past and they are very, very thorough and will admonish the school district if they are doing anything improper.