Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Second opinion] I was just let go from my job that

Customer Question
apparently dealt with my providing...
Second opinion] I was just let go from my job that apparently dealt with my providing false information that happened on a delivery, even though it wasn't my intent. I don't think I should be terminated because I made a mistake and confused the situation. Is something like this really a terminable offense? I admit I made a mistake and explained what happened and they're trying to say this is equivalent so stealing money which is a lie
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: North Carolina
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: I believe the agreement was "at will" but I didn't get to keep it. I worked there 30 hours or more
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: That I admit I made a mistake, as I had only been working there for 5 months and was still adjusting. They're making it sound like I intentionally lied and that all the evidence points to me being wrong
Submitted: 2 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
9/9/2017
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 2 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Without a written employment contract requiring cause for termination, you are, in all likelihood, an at-will employee. As such, you serve at the whim of your employer. They can change your duties, compensation, schedule or even terminate for any reason or no reason at all. So, it does not really matter if you did what they say. They can terminate either way, if they want.

The only exception is that any action taken against you may not be motivated by illegal discrimination (race, religion, disability, ethnicity, etc.) or sexual harassment.

If, upon further deliberation you think that may apply to your situation then you need to make a complaint to the EEOC as soon as possible.

Otherwise, without a claim, as described above, the courts view this as office politics and offer no judicial or administrative remedy. In other words, you would need to seek recourse within the HR department.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on this.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Loren, Lawyer