Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am an exempt employee in California. I left early one day…

Customer Question
I am an exempt...

I am an exempt employee in California. I left early one day for a doctor's appointment and I was docked two hours against my sick pay. I thought this violated the Fair Labor Standards Act, but they allege that California and San Francisco law supersede this. True?

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/9/2017
Employment Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 8 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I thought this violated the Fair Labor Standards Act,

Response 1: Yes, it does. You can file complaint with California Department of Industrial Relations or U.S. Department of Labor, Wage and Hour Division.

but they allege that California and San Francisco law supersede this. True?

Response 2: That is not true. The federal law supersedes state laws where federal law offers more protection for workers.

Best wishes,

Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law