Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Do not know if it is illegal. My manager shows hostility…

Customer Question
Do not know if...

Do not know if it is illegal. My manager shows hostility when things do not go his way. Incident happened twice once with a group of employee, second time with me. I asked a question; the question was why ask me to train temporary employees if you do not trust me? He slammed his hand on his desk on top of an orange that he had on his desk and asked why I was asking such a question. He scared that I had to walk back away from his desk, then he immediately got up and went in front of me to shut his office doors. the very next morning he spoke to the HR and accused me of being unprofessional and insubordinate and ask for my resignation or get written up for my behavior. Ever since then he has been intimidating, ignoring me and taking work from me because the other young co=workers do not have anything to do. I am 62 and my co workers are in their late 20's. or the past 5 weeks I have asked several time for work and he says he has not work to give.

Lawyer's Assistant: I'm just trying to get information to help you. Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

I work for a Catholic Diocese non-profit. I am considered a full time employee. Do not understand the agreement question? I guess so.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I feel they are trying to get me to quit or waiting for me to commit a severe infraction as they did to another elderly employee that was disable. I have been subjected to several slurs, jokes and comments of age. They mention needing more young employees. My manager and his boss are elderly persons but their goal is wanting young employees. i feel I am an obstacle in their plan. BTW, both manager and director are lifetime classmates and friends. My manager has worked for the Diocese for 2 years and I have been with the diocese going on five years.

Submitted: 8 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/9/2017
Employment Lawyer: Infolawyer, Lawyer replied 8 months ago
Infolawyer, Lawyer
On review of your facts, you have a good case. Harassment and hostility would violate company rules. It's also illegal where being targeted relating to age. The eeoc is a federal agency charged with reviewing discrimination complaints. www.eeoc.gov is its site and you can pursue a complaint using it. You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
Ok I didn't think complaining thru EEOC applies, since we do not pay unemployment insurance taxes. My intent was to file the general complaint without investigating? my intent was to present my complain to HR and for the record to be placed in my personnel file only. Would that make sense.
No
you can pursue the matter internally and build a record and in doing so you reserve the other options too! Good luck. Kindly rate me five stars.
Very unsatisfied. 3 sentences in his answer was advertising. He gave me information that a 62 year old woman already knows. I answered no for more charges, and now he wishes me good luck and wants me to rate him. Really? I want my refund.
what else can I answer for you?
I outlined options for internal and external complaint. If you wanted to know something else please specify. Thank you.
Infolawyer, Lawyer