Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Just found out I have to have brain surgery. Filing for

Customer Question
Just found out I...

Just found out I have to have brain surgery. Filing for short-term disability now. only question: I dont think my employer can keep me if Im out for 6 months (Im a VP of a small org). can I look for other work if I am on ST or LT disability, just in case?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Texas

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

That's it how much is the total?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/9/2017
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need without posting on a public forum. I am also happy to continue online.

I am so sorry to hear of the medical problems.

Yes, you can look for work while receiving disability benefits. Merely job-hunting will not affect eligibility or benefits.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.