Allen M., Esq.
Allen M., Esq., Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Employment/Labor Law Litigation
20011183

Odd question, but if I manager is tell an hourly employee

Customer Question

Odd question, but if I manager is tell an hourly employee that an other manager is a temporary problem, and is also explaining to this hourly employee how 2 people got fired two days ago is that not right? I feel there is something to protect those employees privacy and he shouldn't be talking about an other manager to an hourly employee.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Las Vegas
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: It would be part time for the hourly, an agreement for the manager
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: nope I don't believe so I just can't find a law to protect the employees he was talking about if there even is
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Allen M., Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for trusting your question to JA today. I am a licensed attorney with over a decade of law practice and over 20 years of experience in the legal field. I’m happy to be of assistance.

Legally, no. There is not law that protects privacy in the matters that you are discussing. Privacy laws pertain to medical, social security information or medical information.

A person's employment status is not legally protected by statute, so an employer can actually discuss such matters if they wish.

If you have any further questions or other facts that you would like me to consider, please let me know. I invite follow up questions, so use REPLY for those. If you have no further questions then good luck going forward and please do not forget to rate my service with a three, a four or preferably a five star rating so that I receive credit for working with you today. Please rate me based on my service and not on your satisfaction with the law, which I am not in control of and I am just reporting to you. Also, feel free to request me in the future, if you have questions concerning a different matter.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
a manager can talk about any employees status with anyone? I'm in the restaurant business that maybe why I feel this isn't right for manager to tell a host about another manager.

Yes, he can. There is simply no law protecting that information.

The employer could literally publish their positions in the newspaper. It is just not protected information.

Nothing about the restaurant business changes that.

Hello, I wanted to check in and make sure that there was not any additional information that you required after the response I previously provided to you. If you need further assistance, please use REPLY and ask me for any additional information you may need. If not, take care and have a great day.