Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I am a landlord (or was). I went to the Mass Housing Court…

Customer Question
I am a landlord...

I am a landlord (or was). I went to the Mass Housing Court and the Housing specialist did such a poor job mediating that she was reprimanded. I informed the court office I may sue. Now they refuse to even talk to me after having a meeting with administrators

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Ma

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

The lead housing specialist took over my case. Said she was looking into my being compensated. Then after a meeting they just said they won't talk

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/9/2017
Employment Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 11 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This isCustomer Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your difficulties.

What is the status of your case?

What is your specific question?

Thank you for your cooperation.

Can a court be operating in this manner? Aren't they supposed to be transparent? If the mediator was reprimanded, don't I have the right to file a complaint and ask for repayment? I mean why reprimand? If someone was affected by the poor job, aren't I entitled to be compensated in some way? My civil rights were violated then and now by a court departments refusal to talk with me after Union officials cut off my ability to speak with anyone. They are hiding something, afraid of a suit. Seems to be out of line with how a court dept is suppose to act
suppose to
Landlords Suing the Housing Court as Unfair -http://www.nytimes.com/1989/05/23/nyregion/landlords-suing-the-housing-court-as-unfair.html?mcubz=1

Thank you for the information. However, I still need to know the status of your case at the Courthouse.

Thank you for your cooperation.

There is no status. The tenant moved out. I am out almost $7,000. The opposing attorney said any communication should be through him. The judge said take it to small claims. I did just that, sent the court date and info to the attorney. Then the attorney writes to small claims and says he is no longer representing the defendant. I cannot talk with The Housing Court and the defendant is in hiding. I am stuck with no cooperation
Doesn't seem like I received a fair hearing (else why the mediators reprimand) Doesn't seem like my civil rights have been upheld (They won't talk to me after Union leaders having an emergency meeting
why all the secrecy? Is this proper action of a court which is suppose to be the epitome of transparency. They are acting like a corporation and not a court
My life has been hell since October 2016

Thank you for the information.

I am so sorry to read about your difficulties.

If the Attorney for the Defendant is now refusing service, then you need to amend your Statement of Claim and list the Defendant's address so that the Clerk can mail a notice to him. See Uniform Small Claims Rules

As for compensation for the Housing Court Specialist's error, I am afraid the Court may not have the mechanism to reimburse you for this error. Your recourse here would be to ask the Court to put the case back on the hearing calendar so that you would be given the opportunity to make your case against the Defendant.

Best wishes,

The court will not talk with me

You need to go to the Clerk's office and obtain a new form to file the Small Claim. You can obtain the Small Claim forms online also. The Clerk's office must accept your filing. Otherwise, you need to file complaint with the Trial Court Administrator.