Tina, Lawyer
Experience:  JD, BBA, recognized by ABA for excellence.
4460311

My sister and I was terminated from a family non-profit

Customer Question

My sister and I was terminated from a family non-profit organization because I questioned her about her personal use of over $180k over a period of 6 yrs or so. We ended up in probate court over my fathers home who died intestate. It was was during that time we found out that the two oldest sisters refilled their non-profit paperwork in February and removed my sister and I as Corporation Officers. we were not notified, there have been no meetings or financial accounting for years. We have been literally shut out.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: per the law, since we were not infield of the change or voted out or given a chance to be heard, the termination should be void. how do I go about suing her?
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: There is no physical agreement. A 501c3 was established with all the siblings as officers. The property isf my fathers church in Oakland.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No that's it.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Infolawyer replied 1 month ago.
Greetings! I am a legal expert on the site and am working on your question. On review of your facts, you have a good case.You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. If you sue in court you may end up with a judgment. The judgment generally allows you to levy on bank accounts, lien real estate and work with the sheriff office civil enforcement division. Many lawsuits result in settlement - which expect the judge to encourage. By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement!Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
if I can elaborate on anything, just ask me.