Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I worked for Manassas City Public Schools for 19 yrs., my…

Customer Question
I worked for Manassas...

I worked for Manassas City Public Schools for 19 yrs., my position was done away with . I applied for the new position, which I am more than qualified for. I did not get it. The person who did get it has never worked in a school cafeteria before. The manager , who is out on FMLA , is doing all the paperwork because the new person dose not know how to do it.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

I'm sorry, Virginia

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Fulltime

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

There was a lot going on before with the director of food service before I was "let go" I don't know if that has anything to do with it?

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/8/2017
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need. I am also happy to continue online.

Before we begin a bit more detail would be helpful please.

Do you believe you were treated differently than other candidates employees due to your race, religion, ethnicity, etc.?

Which protected class do you believe they discriminated against?

I believe the previous director did not like me. I have documents showing it

Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

Unfortunately, personal animus is not a basis for a claim unless it is rooted in animus against a particular class of individuals, such as an ethnic group or race. I am sorry to tell you that it is not illegal to just dislike someone and it is perfectly legal to decline to hire someone for that reason. It happens every minute somewhere in the country.

Now, if you believe there was a civil rights component to this then you need to file a complaint with the nearest office of the EEOC.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want you spinning your wheels on this.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Did you have further questions? Please let me know if I have answered your question.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!