How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Loren Your Own Question
Loren, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 34490
Experience:  More than 30 years in legal practice.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Loren is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can I collect unimployment if I owe taxes. No longer working

Customer Question

Can I collect unimployment if I owe taxes
JA: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?
Customer: longer working for the company. This is my first time asking.
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: It was fulltime threw an agency for the first 3months then 3more for the company.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Good morning. Thank you for using JA.

Owing federal taxes will not disqualify you from receiving unemployment benefits.

The IRS can levy on your bank account and if you get your unemployment benefits directly deposited, as most people do, then they are fair game. However, you would be eligible to be placed on "non-collectible status" by the IRS based on your current economic state. You should consult with a tax attorney who can help you with this. Once you are on uncollectible status, the IRS will not take any collection action against you. However, they can still withhold any future federal tax refund checks.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.