How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Marsha411JD Your Own Question
Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 20398
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Marsha411JD is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I was asked to resigned from my place of employment after my

Customer Question

i was asked to resigned from my place of employment after my former husband filed a complaint. we are now divorced and call corporate compliance at my former job and the police department. can that complaint be reopened?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: fl
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i resigned because of the complaint, can my ex reopen that investigation?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
he also contacted the police department. this investigation at my work is closed. they asked me if i wanted to be terminated or resign. i told them i would resign and they were not going to press any criminal charges
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 month ago.


Thank you for your post, however, I am unclear on what the complaint was concerning and why you are concerned about it being "reopened" with your employer. Can you provide more detail to put your question in context?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
We were going through a divorce and in may I took some drugs at my work to try and do harm to myself. Also, His girlfriend had taken her daughter to the ER and I had someone look to see if they were in fact in the ER. They were. I did not look at anything in her record as far as why she was there. All I did see what an address and phone number that is it. My husband at the time decided to take the drugs back and I eas investigated at work. A week later they had asked me to either resign or be terminated. I decided to resign.We are now divorced since 9/6/17, and yesterday he calls corporate compliance at my old job and the police department ( he is still on my cell phone service and I checked the phone log).Can he do this? Try and reopen this investigation even if it was closed and no criminal charges were filed against me?
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for your reply. You ex-husband can try whatever he chooses in this case, but he doesn't control the scenario, your former employer and any court that would get involved does. Unless he has new information that would clearly indicate new misconduct or a new criminal activity, it is highly unlikely that your former employer will take any action other than what they have already done. You don't say what your job was at the medical facility, but if you are a nurse, you could still face a report to the State licensing agency. That, I can't say.

As for criminal charges, if you are referring to the drugs, that could be an issue, but that would be with the police, not the former employer.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the ratings box on this page of my efforts to provide you with information based on that which I have, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
The drugs we're brought back to the hospital by my ex during the initial investigation at the hospital I worked at. The hospital did not file any criminal charges on the drugs or looking at medical records.
Expert:  Marsha411JD replied 1 month ago.

Alright, thank you. Do you have any additional questions for me?