John, Employment Lawyer
Experience:  Exclusively practice labor and employment law.
71296933

I just found out I'm no longer on my work schedule, I work

I just found out I'm no longer on my work schedule, I work for the Baymont in Muskegon. The front desk manager replaced me with her sister. I got no call to let me know, nor any reason. She took me from working 3 nights to two nights, and now I'm completely off the schedule.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Michigan
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: I went from full time to part time. there is no agreement, they give you what they want and you just have to accept it
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: yes, I'm getting underemployment at this time and I just signed up for that, because I was ok with the two nights, but now I'm not sure what to do

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

I'll need to ask you some preliminary questions before I can give you an answer to your question. Are you in a union or do you otherwise have a contract for "just cause" (as opposed to “at will" employment which is the default employment condition)? Do you think the manager who terminated you had an ulterior motive in terminating you, perhaps your age, race, gender, disability or religious beliefs?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
no I'm not with a union, and I'm not under contract
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I don't have $59 at this time

Here is the bot***** *****ne from a legal information standpoint. Michigan like most states is an employment at will state - meaning you can be disciplined or terminated for any reason that is not otherwise a violation of law. These exceptions are the civil rights protections (e.g., age, race, sex, religion), violations of public policy (e.g., fired for attending jury duty, for refusing to break the law, for reporting illegal activity by the employer (aka a "whistleblower violation"), or having some contractual right to a just cause employment (meaning the employer cannot terminate you without industrial due process - which basically insures a fair and accurate investigation and decision). Without any of these exceptions, courts find that the employer has a legitimate business right to operate its business however it sees fit and the court will not second-guess the employer. These policies and decisions may in fact be awful and clearly not fair or even make good business sense. However, they are not ultimately unlawful.

Nepostism, or the hiring of a family member to the detriment of a non-family member is not illegal in Michigan. I'm terribly sorry to have to explain this to you, it is not fair, but, at the same time, not illegl. As a consequence the only potential remaining option that you can pursue would be to file for unemployment benefits and claim, quite rightly, that you were terminated 'without cause', and seek unemployment benefits. You would not be able to seek damages but you would be able to contest the termination as being ultimately invalid.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
She hired her sister. I think that' ulterior motive

Nepostism, or the hiring of a family member to the detriment of a non-family member is not illegal in Michigan. Hope this answers your question. Thanks.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thanks.

You're welcome. Please leave a positive rating before you exit this chat as it is the only way I get credit for my answers. If you have any questions in the future regarding this matter come back to this thread and I'll be happy to answer.