Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

In SC can I still get Cobra coverage if employer was paying…

Customer Question
In SC can I...

In SC can I still get Cobra coverage if employer was paying health insurance if I was fired

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

South Carolina

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Was given no notice just fired, and now insurance is terminated

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/6/2017
Employment Lawyer: Legal Eagle, Lawyer replied 11 months ago
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Thank you very much for your patience. The answer to your question is yes. Once you were terminated from your job, you are employers required to provide you your COBRA Documentation. However, keep in mind that if you are considered to have been fired for gross misconduct, then you may not be eligible for these kinds of benefits. At this point, you may not know exactly why you were fired, however unless you did something so terrible that it would warrant being considered gross misconduct, then you will be able to get your Cobra Insurance. Keep in mind that Cobra tends to be a little bit more expensive so be sure that you are doing your best to try to set aside a little bit of cash to help pay for it. . Also, although I provided an initial answer, it’s important that you are 100% satisfied. If you feel I have done so, please rate me 5 stars and let me know if you have any follow up questions. As a side note, you can also click here in the future to request me individually.