Loren, Lawyer
Experience:  More than 30 years in legal practice.
17897874

On October 3 of last year, I started a new job and received

Customer Question

Hello! On October 3 of last year, I started a new job and received a $5,000 check as a sign-on bonus (no taxes taken out... not sure if this is legal in and of itself?) that was to be returned if I didn't stay for a year. I just got a new job and started last week - so I'm one month shy of the 1 year timeframe. Although I did sign the agreement, I was also promoted during my tenure there from Account Supervisor to Vice President of the company and did not get any compensation with the "promotion" at all - and I was told I would.My boss - the owner of the firm - said she wanted me to own part of the business and that's why I didn't get the raise yet - but I did not want to own any bit of it. She scams people often - part of the reason I left - and I feel like the only reason she would want to give me "skin in the game" is to unload whatever problems she was having with the quite unstable business on to me. Afterall, she didn't even know me for a year...Beyond that, I was also told that I'd get a bonus each time I won new business for the agency - which I did numerous times - and never saw a dime for.Do I have any option here to NOT pay the $5K back?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.

I am a certified expert on JustAnswer since 2009, with nearly 100% in 5 star ratings. So, we should be able to work through your problem.

I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.

This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.

The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. Many find the phone call to be the easiest and fastest way to get the information they need. I am also happy to continue online.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

What is your question, my friend?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Thank you, Loren! Do I have to pay the $5K back?
Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for the clarification. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.

While you may be able to negotiate a discount or installment plan, as a general rule, such repayment contracts have been held enforceable.

I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not wan tyou spinning your wheels.

Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.

There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

Did you have further questions? Please let me know if I have answered your question.

Expert:  Loren replied 1 month ago.

If you have no further questions please remember to rate my service (5 Stars) so that I am credited by JA for answering your question and also so that I may close the question.

There is no additional charge to you for a 5 star rating of my service.

Thank you!