Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have a question about wrongful termination. No. At will,

Hi, my name is...

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I have a question about wrongful termination.

Lawyer's Assistant: Have you documented this or discussed it with HR?

No.

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will, full time.

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I don't think so.

9/6/2017
Patrick, Esq.

Hi Greg,

What specifically is your question? I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.

I was working for a trucking company over the road in a different state when I became ill and was admitted to the hospital. It ended up being heart trouble and I have to wear a defribrillator vest and am unable to drive and was fired because of it. The company has stated the day I went into the hospital as my last day of work.

Thank you. I'm truly sorry to hear about your health difficulties. If you were unable to drive, then may I ask why you believe your employer was wrong in letting you go? What do you believe they should have done?

I guess it's really just a question of morality. I understand that I can't drive, but I'm still able bodied to do something else around the office or operating center. I was not given that opportunity even though I asked. What really bothers me is that I never heard from anybody at the company the week I was in the hospital on my death bed. Not one call! I know with it being an at-will state I probably don't have a case, but I would be remissed if I didn't at least ask somebody.
Am I to understand that there's no case here?

Thank you for your patience....

Unfortunately, an employer is not required to create a new position for an employee who is unable to do their job as the result of a disability. I completely understand where you are coming from that from a purely moral standpoint, the right thing to do would be find another job for you and do what can be done to employ you in some other capacity. But this is not required. Only "reasonable accommodations" are required, and if a reasonable accommodation cannot be offered which allows the employee to perform their job safely and effectively, the employer is no longer required to offer employment.

I truly wish I could provide better news but I trust you will appreciate an honest and direct answer to your question so that you can move forward. Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further.

If you do not require any further assistance, please be so kind as to provide a positive rating of my service so that I may receive credit for assisting you. Very best wishes moving forward.

* Disclaimer *

Just Answer is a venue for informational and educational purposes only. No attorney-client relationship is formed by these communications.

Patrick, Esq.