Law Educator, Esq., Attorney
Experience:  20+ Years of Employment Law Experience
10285032

I have just been informed that a colleague has had

i have just been informed that a colleague has had permission from the head to record our meetings. I had no idea about this and want legal advice. I am not prepared to have my meetings recorded however I am her line manager so I need to regularly meet and discuss things with her. What is the law regarding recording meetings in Japan
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: hyogo
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: the colleague is a national citizen whereas I am from the uk

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Please give me a moment as I type your reply.

The laws in Japan do not prevent recordings I am afraid. The laws of privacy would prevent the person from publishing the recordings or using them for any reasons other than personal use or in legal proceedings. So, as long as the employee has permission from the employer and they are not violating any workplace rules, there is no law preventing this employee from recording the meetings and you will need to be prepared to be recorded every time you are in this employee's presence I am afraid.

Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
What happens if the employer has not given permission?

Thank you for your reply.

If it violates the employer's rules, then they employer may take job action against the person who made the recording, up to and including termination.

It has been OVER ONE MONTH since I assisted you and because you have not left any positive feedback I have received NOTHING for my time with you.

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
Many thanks. I apologise about not leaving a reply. I was not aware that it I didn’t reply you would not receive anything for answering my question. That was completely an error on my behalf. I appreciate your help. Things seem to have gone from bad to worse and I really have no idea who is telling me the truth and I do feel I am caught between a pillar and a rock.

Thank you for your reply. Most customers do not realize that, so we remind them.