Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Employment Law Question I have worked for a private firm in

Employment Law Question I have worked...
Employment Law Question
I have worked for a private firm in Philadelphia for about 14 years with no issues in my performance until a new director was brought on with much fanfare just a few years ago. The partners have known for years of his personality issues and I have documented multiple instances where he has since attacked me verbally and in written form. Nothing of course changes. The situation has gotten much worse where he actually walked out of my most recent performance review. It was actually the 2nd performance review of the day where he walked out as he's had issues with multiple people. At this point how much of a case would I have for libel, hostile work environment, stress, etc.?? I am backed into a corner here as this has gone on for several years (documented) and no improvement. The new guy is actually now a partner at the firm. The other partners continue to defend me but nothing has done about me directly reporting to the newer guy. He has flat out lied in writing about me. HR is well aware of his issues as others have complained about him. I have not at this point, but considering I've reached out to the other partners over the last few years to dispute and tell my side no one from HR has ever reached out to me.
Answered in 1 minute by:
9/5/2017
Infolawyer, Lawyer
what can I answer for you? Has there been violation of policy or discrimination?
With multiple written lies about me in a recent performance review is that libel? What is needed for it to be a "hostile work environment?"
On review of your facts, you have a good case. False statements made to others make for a libel claim. You want to prepare your case by creating a time line starting from the earliest event. For each event, write down key details and witnesses and if there is a document that relates to it, save it and refer to it. This timeline can be very valuable in narrating your case and presenting it later in a concrete and specific way. martindale.com and findlaw.com are both excellent lookup directories. Both highly rated. Both used by lawyers. Easy to search and find local options. By being prepared and pressing your claim, the other side should feel the pressure and consider the risk of losing and legal fees. That realization can help bring about a settlement! Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
Thanks. Understood for libel. What defines a hostile environment?
Being singled out in violation of policy or sexually charged or based on race, gender, age or nationality.
Good luck!
Please let me know if the reply is acceptable by responding "yes" or "acceptable"
Thanks!
Kindly rate me five stars.
Leaving a bonus after rating is very much appreciated.
Infolawyer, Lawyer
Infolawyer, Lawyer