Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I filed for short term disability on august 18th and was

Customer Question
terminated on august 21st....
i filed for short term disability on august 18th and was terminated on august 21st. will i be able to transition to long term disability even though i was terminated. i am in the state of AZ
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: arizona
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: at will
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: full time salaried
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
9/1/2017
Employment Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
Marsha411JD, Lawyer

Thank you for the information and your question. Assuming that you were eligible for STD and are receiving it, then usually under most policies, you would be able to transition to LTD if you need to, despite no longer being employed. In other words, whether or not you are covered under your LTD policy depends wholly on the terms of the policy itself. This is an issue controlled by contract and not by statute. So, you will want to read your LTD policy terms or Summary Plan Description to double check what it says about coverage.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the ratings box on this page for my efforts to provide the information you are seeking, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 1st. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit (paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I have not received either.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me, even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating, please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator. Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.

Marsha411JD, Lawyer