How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Patrick, Esq. Your Own Question
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Employment Law
Satisfied Customers: 12941
Experience:  Significant experience in all areas of employment law.
Type Your Employment Law Question Here...
Patrick, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I've worked as an operator for over 19yrs, I'm 63. I was

Customer Question

I've worked as an operator for over 19yrs, I'm 63. I was accused of telling a caller to go to Jerry Springer, I have never done such a thing, I am always polite and very helpful to everyone. I got so upset I ended up having to go to the ER and having an angiogram. I had a heart attack. I feel my boss is the reason. I had a clean bill of health 3 wks before, no blockage. I dont know what to do.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Hello and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. My name is ***** ***** I will do everything I can to answer your question.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Is there anything I can do if I lose my job?
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

Thank you.

Unfortunately, employment in the state of IL is "at will" absent an express agreement to the contrary. At will employment can be terminated for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination is fair, reasonable or even true. So, if you were terminated based on this false allegation that would not typically give rise to any legal claims.

Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

You can certainly try to file a workers comp claim on the ground that the injury you suffered was triggered by a work event (workers comp, as you may know, only covers work-related injuries). However, I must warn you that you will probably face an uphill in terms of connecting the health event to your employer's conduct. Furthermore, the conduct generally must be deemed severe, sudden and shocking in order for workers comp to cover something that did not stem from a physical injury at work. A false allegation at work may not rise to the necessary level, but you can certainly still try filing.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Who do o contact to do a workers comp claim
Expert:  Patrick, Esq. replied 1 month ago.

You want to fill out this form and let your employer know in writing that you are filing a workers comp claim.

Again, please feel free to let me know if you have any further concerns. If I have answered your question, I would be very grateful for a positive rating of my service (using the stars at the top of the page) so that I may receive credit for assisting you.