Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

What are the labor laws on a manager cussing employees that…

Customer Question
What are the labor...

What are the labor laws on a manager cussing employees that work under this manager also herasment of employees

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Georgie

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time at will but does a manager have the rite to disrespect his employees like snatching something out of ones hands and cussing at them

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

This is a many things this man has done to employees I have witness this to employees I am a supervisor and have addressed it with Management and now im under the gun with this manager what is my stand on this problem

Submitted: 12 months ago.Category: Employment Law
8/22/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 12 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
The US Supreme Court has clearly held that the laws on harassment/hostile work environments must be based solely upon discrimination based upon age/race/sex/disability and they were not enacted to create a code of civility in the workplace. See: Oncale v. Sundowner Offshore Services, 523 U.S. 75 (1998)
If the supervisor is cursing or yelling at employees and not doing this based only on their age/race/sex/disability/national origin, then this would be only a uncivil work environment not covered by the law and not able to be sued over. It is an issue with management and HR to take care of, it is not one you can sue the employer over as none of the states, including GA, have managed to pass any laws to prevent cussing and cursing and yelling at employees in the workplace.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
what kind of attorney would I have to see about this problem

Thank you for your reply.

There is no "problem" legally unless it is done based only on the age/race/sex/disability/national origin, so no type of attorney can pursue this, it is something you as an employee have to pursue to upper management. If the issue is caused only by age/race/sex/disability/national origin of the employees, then you need an employment discrimination attorney.