Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Looking thru employment law question - State of Florida.

Customer Question
Employee forgets to clock in...
Looking thru employment law question - State of Florida. Employee forgets to clock in or out. Our employee handbook states our mechanism for tracking hours work is Time Clock. When they forget to use the system - creates added work for admin and we are not sure of the hours worked. What can be done?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Florida
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: we are a veterinary clinic, employee is a technician, Florida (at-will state), no contract, employee handbook states protocols, staff is part time.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: We want to implement - no clock, no pay. We are a 24-hour emergency clinic. Time clock is hte only mechanism to keep track of work hours for all hourly employees.
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/22/2017
Employment Lawyer: John, Employment Lawyer replied 3 months ago
John, Employment Lawyer

Hi, thanks for submitting your question today. My name is John. I have over 13 years of legal and consulting experience in this area. I’m happy to assist you with your question today. Please note that the website may ask you if you desire premium services, such as a phone call. I do not control these prompts, and you are not under any obligation to order premium services to get a full answer from me. If you do desire premium services, however, feel free to select that option. I will have an answer for you shortly, unless I require additional information. Please be patient while I may have to research some matters before providing a response. In the meantime you should save the url link or bookmark this webpage in case you become disconnected and need to return to this page at a later time.

Below on this situation is that, regardless of their failure to clock in or out, you must pay them to the best of your estimate. What you can do in this situation is create a system of progressive discipline, up to and including discharge, for failing to use the time clock. In short, you cannot force them to work for free, but you do have control of the workplace and can discipline them for that putting writeups, suspension without pay or termination. The intent is that the discipline results in them complying with the work place procedures.

I believe this answers your question. However, if you need clarification or have follow-up questions regarding this matter, I will be happy to continue our conversation - simply reply to this answer. If you are otherwise satisfied with my response, please leave a positive rating as it is the only way I am able to get credit for my answers (even though the website already charged you, it does not credit me with the answer unless and until you indicate you are satisfied with the answer). If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. Thank you, ***** ***** wish you all the best with this matter.

if anyone states that they work a shift and we have no evidence they worked the shift - we still have to pay?
Our employee handbook clearly states that Time Clock is the official way to keep track of hours work - to be paid. If they don't clock - how are we supposed to confirmed hours? processed payroll? Discipline procedure will help re train staff to be more accountable - but does not solve the problem.

You'll generally have to work with the employee to reconstruct when they started and stopped work - yes. It doesn't matter tha it's in your handbook. The DOL does not rely on time clocks as the official measure of work.

§785.48 Use of time clocks.

(a) Differences between clock records and actual hours worked. Time clocks are not required. In those cases where time clocks are used, employees who voluntarily come in before their regular starting time or remain after their closing time, do not have to be paid for such periods provided, of course, that they do not engage in any work. Their early or late clock punching may be disregarded. Minor differences between the clock records and actual hours worked cannot ordinarily be avoided, but major discrepancies should be discouraged since they raise a doubt as to the accuracy of the records of the hours actually worked.

So, you'll get hit with a pay violation if you refuse to pay it. If you have no one there, such as a manager, to confirm the employee is working, perhaps add cameras on the premises to be able to at least confirm people are there and workin.

Thanks

You're welcome. Please leave a positive rating before you exit this chat as it is the only way I get credit for my answers. If you have any questions in the future regarding this matter come back to this thread and I'll be happy to answer. Thanks and good luck with the matter.

John, Employment Lawyer