Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I'm a resident of Colorado.What step do I need to take, as

My name is Linda.I'm a...
My name is Linda.I'm a resident of Colorado.What step do I need to take, as my boss is constantly harassing and bullying me
JA: Can you tell me what state this is in? And how long has this been going on?
Customer: Colorado This has been an issue for about 10 years
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: no, Not on my end.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: On a daily basis I have tons of work load, and my other co workers do not get as much work as I do. I'm constantly getting blamed for everything that goes wrong, even if I'm not working the day of the incidents
8/21/2017
Legal Eagle, Lawyer

Hello! I am a licensed attorney, admitted to practice in state and federal court. I have a nearly 100% satisfaction rating so all that means is that you can count on me to help today. Do you mind if I take a moment to review your question?

Please keep in mind that our conversation does not include an attorney-client relationship and this is for general information purposes only. Additionally, most people believe a phone call is the easiest and most efficient way to handle problems. Accordingly, you will receive an automatic phone call request. If you would like a phone call, please click “Accept” when prompted.

Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Legal Research on Case Law, Codes, etc. + Legal Discussion by Email. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR, as you have opted out your previous contributor.
We need additional information from you, so please use REPLY, not opt-out to reply to us.
Is the only reason for your boss harassing you based on your age/race/sex/disability/national origin?
Do you have some type of union contract or other written contract limiting your work?
I wouldn't thing it has to do with any of the above. My co-workers and I are around the same age, same race.
I do believe it is something personal she may have against me.
My boss has continuously bullied me since 2008
Thank you for your reply.
Unfortunately, just having personal against someone is not sufficient legal cause for a workplace harassment/hostile work environment claim. The US Supreme Court has been very clear that the laws against workplace harassment/hostile work environment were enacted to protect employees from conduct against them based only on the age/race/sex/disability/national origin of the employee and they were not intended to create a code of civility in the workplace. See: Oncale v. Sundowner Offshore Services, 523 U.S. 75 (1998).
Thus, if your boss just has a personal issue with you and as such is giving you more work or treating you differently, then legally this is an issue for your employer to deal with internally, absent age/race/sex/disability/national origin basis for the treatment. This would be something considered by the courts as a "code of civility" issue in the workplace and as such not legally actionable in the court.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney