Ray, Employment lawyer
Experience:  30 years in Employment law
8534270

I'm a HR generalist for a Non-profit and I report directly

Customer Question

Good evening I'm a HR generalist for a Non-profit and I report directly to the HR director who I have felt has been targeting me for a while now. She was not involved in my training I was trained by another generalist who started just a couple months prior to me. But she will point out any and all my mistakes or steps I miss but when my partner does she quietly talks with her about it and plays like she never makes a mistake. Matter of fact when our annual raise came around she got a 8% and I only got 3% and just last week she announced she promoted her to the lead. Now she and I both have similar education but I have 15 years of management experience over her but was never even considered. Today I was written up for basically asking to many questions. As she put it it makes her feel I'm just not getting it. However my questions are because I have been reprimanded before for not asking and making a decision without her consultation before so I no longer do that but now I'm being written up for consulting her. There were also 2 items on the write up that I disbuted because they were absolutely false and I have the back up emails to prove that. She then stated well she also has other managers coming to her with concerns about me and my HR knowledge. I asked if she could give me specifics or examples so I could at least make sure I get the knowledge needed in those areas and she couldn't provide that information. What do I do she is the director of HR and she has the CEO and CFO in her hip pocket I feel if I complain I will be fired.
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.Please bear with me a few moments while I review your question, conduct and prepare your response.

Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

I would try and file with EEOC complaint.This offers you the most job protection claiming age, sex, or race as a category.Often these are discrimination based even though they may be subtle.If they try to fire you here then claim retaliation and file another EEOC complaint.

EEOC

If you believe that you have been discriminated against at work because of your race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy, gender identity, and sexual orientation), national origin, age (40 or older), disability or genetic information, youcan file a Charge of Discrimination. All of the laws enforced by EEOC, except for the Equal Pay Act, require you to file a Charge of Discrimination with us before you can file a job discrimination lawsuit against your employer. In addition, an individual, organization, or agency may file a charge on behalf of another person in order to protect theaggrieved person's identity. There are time limits for filing a charge.

https://www.eeoc.gov/employees/charge.cfm

I appreciate the chance to help you tonight.Thanks and the best here.

If you can positive rate 5 stars it is much appreciated.

Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

Lawyer referral

Contact the State Bar for Help

Thanks again.

Customer: replied 2 months ago.
I don't feel she is discriminating against me based on the typical discrimination listed through EEOC so how do I file a complaint without it being based on race, sex, age etc?
Expert:  Ray replied 2 months ago.

If you cannot claim EEOC here then you are an employee at will.You can file it within your hr thats about it.Really ought to think about EEOC here, it offers you protection under the law for your job.It would protect you from retaliation.