Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I live in wi and my employer is getting bought out...i am

Customer Question
trying to research if I...
I live in wi and my employer is getting bought out...i am trying to research if I can get UI too.
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Wisconsin
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: At will full time....the lump sum severance will get paid 30 days after the effective date
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I will also get a payout of pto sometime after the effective dat
Submitted: 3 months ago.Category: Employment Law
8/19/2017
Employment Lawyer: Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law replied 3 months ago
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law

Hello: This is Phillipsesq. Welcome to JustAnswer! I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

I am sorry to read about your loss of job.

Yes, you would be eligible for unemployment benefits because your job loss is not your fault.

Best wishes,

But I am getting severance dosent that effect the UI?
I am trying to find out if my lump sum severance payment will affect getting UI and my payout of pto. The severance payment will be about 30 days after the effective date in the contract. The pto probably a few weeks after severanc
Employment Lawyer: RobertJDFL, Lawyer replied 3 months ago
RobertJDFL, Lawyer

Good evening,

Different expert here as I see you requested a new professional. If the agreement specifies that the lump sum constitutes pay for a specific time period, you will be ineligible for Ui until that specified time period lapses, yes.

Does the fact that it is paid 30 days after the effective date matter? That is 30 days after the company closes...not necessarily when my separation date. It is possible I could be without income waiting for this payout for 2 or 3 months.

It unfortunately is possible that you could be without income for several months, yes, especially when you consider that the first week of claiming benefits, you actually aren't paid. A lot is going to depend on how your employer intends to define this severance -and that is information you would have to get from the employer.

RobertJDFL, Lawyer