Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

On August 31st, I will be off from my job because our client…

On August 31st, I...

On August 31st, I will be laid off from my job because our client has pulled their contract from us.

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

TX

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

Full time

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I've recently got an offer to an unpaid internship and I had questions about that

8/18/2017
Marc Esq USA
Marc Esq USA, Lawyer

Hello. My name is*****'m a licensed attorney, experienced in employment law, and I will be happy to assist you.

I'm sorry to hear you're being laid off. Good news about the internship, though (I hope). Please go ahead and ask whatever questions you have about the internship and I'll get right back to you with some answers.

Thanks.

Will I still be eligible for unemployment if I take the unpaid internship job?

I'm afraid not. In order to obtain unemployment benefits, you will have to report each week to the Dept. of Labor three things: (1) you are unemployed, (2) you are looking for work, and (3) you are able and willing to work.

Even though your internship will be unpaid, you will still be unable to answer affirmatively to these conditions. Therefore, you will be denied benefits. Sorry.

Please feel free to ask any follow up questions. I'll stand by ready to answer right away.

Meanwhile, I hope this helps! If so, please be sure to rate my answer, since that is the only way I can receive credit.

Kind regards,

Marc

Marc Esq USA
Marc Esq USA, Lawyer