Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

What kinds of favoritism can you present to your boss so it

stops & can I get...
what kinds of favoritism can you present to your boss so it stops & can I get fired for bringing it up?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: minnesota
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: I did send an email to my boss but it was completely ignored
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: I want it to stop & I can't afford to loose my job--I've been putting up with this for about a year.
8/16/2017
Loren, Lawyer
Thank you for using JA. I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs., and I am here to help.
I appreciate your patience as I review your question. I will post my response shortly.
This is general information and no attorney client relationship is established.
The site may ask you if you wish to speak by phone for an extra charge. The offer is not from me. While I am happy to speak to you, there is no obligation for you to accept the phone call offer, unless you want. I am also happy to continue online. So, there is no pressure to spend extra money.
Before we begin a bit more detail would be helpful please.1. Do you have a written employment agreement for a fixed term requiring cause for termination, discipline or demotion?2. Do you believe you were treated differently than other employees due to your race, religion, ethnicity, etc.?
No--we have an "at will" employment agreement.
No
Thank you for the additional information. I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.
I am sorry to hear of your dilemma. I realize how frustrating this is for you and I hope to provide you information which is accurate and useful, even though it may not be the news you were hoping to get.Without a written employment contract requiring cause for termination, you are, in all likelihood, an at-will employee. As such, you serve at the whim of your employer. They can change your duties, compensation, schedule or even terminate for any reason or no reason at all.The only exception is that any action taken against you may not be motivated by illegal discrimination (race, religion, disability, ethnicity, etc.) or sexual harassment.It is, likewise, not illegal to show favoritism to certain employees, so long as it is not based on race, religion, ethnicity, etc. Employers can have favorite employees.If, upon further deliberation you think that may apply to your situation then you need to make a complaint to the EEOC as soon as possible.Otherwise, without a claim, as described above, the courts view this as office politics and offer no judicial or administrative remedy. In other words, you would need to seek recourse within the HR department.I am sorry. I wish I could tell you otherwise, but I do not want to see you spinning your wheels on this.Please remember to leave a favorable rating (click 5 stars in the rating section on this page). It is the only way that I am credited by JustAnswer for answering your question.
There is no additional charge to you for rating me favorably.
Loren, Lawyer
Loren, Lawyer