Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

Unfair dismissal from work. i made a mistake but i dont

think it was fair to...
unfair dismissal from work. i made a mistake but i dont think it was fair to terminate
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: MD
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: no
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/16/2017
Patrick, Esq.

Good evening and thank you for entrusting me to assist you. I am very sorry you were let go. What specifically is your question for me this evening? Also, do you suspect an ulterior motive for letting you go, and if so what? I very much look forward to helping you on this matter.

Basically i filled out a form about my employment history and i added my Manager's name and provided his phone number for verification and submitted it to my insurance for processing my accident claim. i knew they will call him to verify. Because of that i was let go without any notice. its my full time job as a Nurse manager with an impeccable work history for 3 years and it has nothing to do with my job. i did not compromise my patients or staff that i manage

Thank you, ***** ***** Are you asking if it was illegal for them to let you go on this basis?

i would like to sue because i feel it is unfair

Thank you. ***** agree that this sounds unfair, I must tell you that it is not illegal for an employer to be unfair. Unfortunately, employment in the state of MD is "at will" absent an express agreement to the contrary. At will employment can be terminated for any reason not amounting to discrimination on the basis of a legally protected trait (race, religion, gender, etc.) or retaliation for engaging in certain forms of legally protected conduct (filing a wage claim, taking FMLA leave, etc.). It doesn't matter whether the basis for termination is fair, reasonable or even true.

Therefore, it would not be against the law for an employer to terminate an employee based on the facts you have described. You can certainly attempt to reason with your employer. You can also apply for unemployment benefits, which you will likely be approved for. But you typically cannot sue based on the facts you have described because your employer was legally free to terminate the employment relationship under the circumstances. I am truly sorry.

If I can clarify anything at all for you, please do not hesitate to ask. It is my pleasure to assist you further if necessary....

thanks

You are very welcome, I'm just sorry I could not provide better news. Again if there is anything more I can do for you just let me know. It's my pleasure....

Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq.
Patrick, Esq., Lawyer