Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Union. I'm on short term disability( paid by union( for my…

Customer Question
No Lawyer's Assistant: Is...

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment "at will," union, full time, or part time?

Union

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

I'm on short term disability( paid by union( for my high risk pregnancy and looking to work from home from my computer for commission. I'm wondering if thats legal

Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 hour by:
8/15/2017
Employment Lawyer: attyadvisor, Attorney replied 11 months ago
attyadvisor
attyadvisor, Attorney
Welcome to JA and thank you for your question. You would be working from home for your employer?
from home but for a different employer
its a commission position online
Is your question with regard to the fact that you are collecting disability?
Will it affect me having short term disability if i work from home for another employer?
will I lose my disability payments?
Not necessarily. You would contact your local social security office. Provided you don't exceed the amount you are able to earn while on disability you would be able to work part time and retain the disability. http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/page1-13.html Where are you located?
Located in Long Island NY
Also this is an employer sponsored short term disability plan.
Thank you for the clarification. You will want to check your company's policy in short term disability. There is the risk of you and the employer facing fraud issues. This is a situation that would be scrutinized. If your employer has a policy on this you will want to abide by the policy.
You are only entitled to employer disability during pregnancy for the period of time that you are unable to work. You don't want to take any chances under this set of circumstances in New York.
http://www.disabilitysecrets.com/resources/disability/short-term-disability-laws/new-york.htm
My disability is only effective till September 18th . Can I work while on FMLA ?
Does your employer have a policy that would allow you to work?

Please do not hesitate to ask me any additional questions that you may have with regard to this matter. It would be my pleasure to continue to assist you.

If you would be kind enough to rate my service positively so I will receive credit for my work from the site I would appreciate it.

You may not be familiar with how the site works. The Attorneys to not receive credit from the site for their time or with customers unless the customer provides a positive rating. We answer your questions in good faith, hoping for a good faith response regardless of whether the law is in your favor or not. If you were unhappy with my service please let me know that you would prefer to work with another Attorney and I will opt out. Thank you for your consideration.

Thank you for using JA! We appreciate your business.