Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I was given a letter of non renewal in the letter it stated

that if I found another...
I was given a letter of non renewal in the letter it stated that if I found another job I had to report it half way through the last 6 months of my contract I was verbally attacked and trapped at my desk being screamed at and threaten to have security called because another employee was mad at me this is a university they placed me on administrative leave after that verbally took my keys and told me not to come back but that i did not have to report leave and they would send an assignment for me to do. I never received the assignment . I took another job during the administrative leave and they sent my non renewal letter to my new employer a private corporation of which I am now being fired because I made the University pay out my contract to June 30 I got the other job on May 22 can they give that information out. they are firing me for unethical behavior
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: WV
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: both were at will the one at the university agreed to pay may out my contract
JA: When we are ready I'll take you to the appropriate web page.
Customer: The private company put n their letter the letter the University had given me.
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: The University has a policy in the handbook that they will only give out the dates of employment. The private corporation does have an affiliation but both the University and the corporation specifially state you do not work for the other
8/11/2017
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Please allow me some time to read your facts and type my response.

If you received an email regarding a phone call for an extra price that comes directly from the website and not from me and I have no control over the sending of the email. I don't take part in the telephone program and only work through this format and in your case this format should be sufficient.

ok

Your question: "can they give that information out. they are firing me for unethical behavior"

Answer: Unfortunately there is no law that prevents them from releasing that information. If they are releasing information that you believe is untrue then you could sue them for slander/liable although rarely do those types of lawsuits result in a judgment of enough to justify the time, effort, and expense. But there is nothing in the law which states that an employer or ex-employer cannot reveal reasons for termination or that you were terminated at all.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a 5 Star Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow-up questions in this thread. I want to be sure all of your questions are answered.

Even if they have a stated policy in the employee handbook that says they will not give out any other information than salary without written approval
Hello

West Virginia is one of the few states that recognizes employee handbooks as potentially being implied contracts. I haven't seen any case law that directly addresses the release of information but at least you have a potential argument that the employee handbook created a contract and by releasing the information the employer breached the contract. To pursue this you would have to retain a private attorney.

Thank you that is perfect!

It is storming here so our power may go out. If it does I'll be back online as soon as it comes back on. Until then I'll stay online to respond to your questions.

That is all the questions thank you so much. I will put 5 stars and submit.

Thanks very much and I wish you well in your situation.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer

Thank you very much for allowing me to assist you. While the answers I give can't always be "good news", since the law can't always be favorable to everyone, I do strive to be as accurate as possible and to answer any follow up questions to the best of my ability.

You may receive a survey of some kind in the next day or so regarding your experience here at JustAnswer. Please be advised that I am responsible for the content of my answers but not with the issues of website performance or anything other than the answer. I hope that you will consider issuing a Positive Rating regarding my service to you so that I can continue helping others.

If I can ever provide assistance to you in the future please feel free to ask for me by starting your new question with "FOR DWAYNE B ONLY" and I will pick up as soon as I see the question.

Dwayne B.
Dwayne B.
Dwayne B., Lawyer