Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

I have a question about a previous employer contacting my…

I have a question...

I have a question about a previous employer contacting my current employer to suggest that I am not providing them with business because of my personal history with them and alluding to the fact I was fired. Is this cause enough to send a cease and desist letter?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

NY my current state is WI

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

No

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Not at this time

8/11/2017
P. Simmons, Lawyer

Hi, My name is***** am an attorney with over 16 years experience. Hopefully I can help you with your legal question.

I want to make sure I understand...your prior employer is lying to your current employer about you? Is that correct?

They are suggesting that I am not providing them with business for personal reasons. This is untrue. During this conversation, they also alluded to my termination with their company, which is true, but is not appropriate to share with my current employer unsolicited.

Thanks

What you are describing is "defamation"

Defamation of character is defined as a false statement of fact that harms the reputation of the victim.

If someone lied about you and that lie harmed your reputation? You can sue the person who lied for defamation.

I would consider sending them a cease and desist letter, for this defamation

Please let me know if you have more questions. I am happy to help if I can. Otherwise, please rate the answer so I may get credit for my work.

Are cease & desist letters confidential? Or could my former employer show this to my current employer?

They are not "confidential"...so the former employer could show the letter to whomever they like. But if they are lying about you, you have recourse (you can sue for defamation)

P. Simmons, Lawyer