Marsha411JD, Lawyer
Experience:  Licensed Attorney with 29 yrs. exp in Employment Law
19127644

If someone is on short term disability due to a medical

If someone is on short term disability due to a medical problem, and they go on an interview for a new job (need to find career with less stress and more time flexibility due to medical condition), must you tell the potential new employer you are on short term disability?
JA: I love working for Andy.
Customer: f someone is on short term disability due to a medical problem, and they go on an interview for a new job (need to find career with less stress and more time flexibility due to medical condition), must you tell the potential new employer you are on short term disability?
JA: I love working for Andy.
Customer: hello?
JA: Hello. How can I help?
Customer: If someone is on short term disability due to a medical problem, and they go on an interview for a new job (need to find career with less stress and more time flexibility due to medical condition), must you tell the potential new employer you are on short term disability?
JA: I love working for Andy.
Customer: what is this?
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New York
JA: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?
Customer: full time
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: just about disability rights and being discriminated against due to a medical condition

Thank you for your question. No, you have no duty to tell the prospective employer that you are on STD. You have to be honest if asked whether or not you can perform the duties of the job, but that is the limit of what you must divulge when speaking to a potential employer.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the ratings box on this page, then the Site will give me credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No limit as far as performing duties...if they ask about what you are doing currently at job is it ok to just discuss what you were doing before going on STD?

Yes, absolutely. They will really only likely, at most, ask you what your job duties and title are and you can simply state what they are as that really is the information they want and it is honest since you are still employed, just out on STD.