Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

A crew meets at a central location and from there commutes…

Customer Question
A crew meets at a...
A crew meets at a central location and from there commutes to job site 1.5 away in a company vehicle. It is voluntary for the crew members to ride in company vehicle is pay for travel time required
Submitted: 11 months ago.Category: Employment Law
Answered in 1 minute by:
8/7/2017
Employment Lawyer: Gerald, Esq, Attorney replied 11 months ago
Gerald, Esq
Gerald, Esq, Attorney

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me while I review your question. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Thank you for your patience and thank you for using Just Answer. I want to provide you the best service I can. Please feel free to ask any follow-up questions you have.

I am an attorney with 30 years of experience; I hope to provide you information that will help you in resolving your question.

Once the employee meets at a central location (the office or other designated location) they are then "on the clock" and are no longer commuting. As such they are entitled to pay for the travel time. This is so even though it is voluntary for them to do so and even though they are saving wear and tear on their personal vehicles.

See this fact sheet from the Department of Labor on this issue:

https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/whdfs22.pdf

I hope the information I provide is useful to you. I want you to be comfortable and satisfied with my attempt to assist you. Please, if you have ANY follow-up questions, feel free to ask.

If you ask a follow-up question and I do not respond immediately, it is because I am temporarily unavailable. I promise to respond as soon as I return. Please note that I am often unavailable Friday evening through Sunday.

Please do not forget to give me a positive rating. It adds nothing to your costs but helps me greatly. Thank you.

If you are dissatisfied with my response, PLEASE let me know before giving me a negative review so that I may try to be of better assistance. Or, if you prefer, let me know and I can “Opt Out” and your question can be re-posted without additional cost to you. I will be fair to you, and only ask the same from you.

Good luck.

Please note: Information is educational and not given as legal advice. Only your local attorney can give legal advice. I can't establish or accept an attorney-client relationship with you. All posts are available for public viewing.

Kind regards,

Gerald