Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  Former judicial law clerk, lawyer
26798026

My husband quit his job 2 years ago and quit due to a

Customer Question

My husband quit his job 2 years ago and quit due to a illness. He receives social security disability but never thought to go through his job. Is it too late to apply through his job since he quit even though he paid for disability for years at his job
JA: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Virginia
JA: Has anything been filed or reported?
Customer: Only through the government he qualified for that
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: No just trying to see if it is too late to try
Category: Employment Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 2 months ago.

I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

The answer here is going to depend on the insurance contract. They may require insured individuals to file a claim within a certain amount of time after becoming disabled.

If the contract doesn't say, he should have 5 years to put in a claim, since that's the general statute of limitations on written agreements. But the document itself may say otherwise. He should be able to get a copy of the documentation from the insurance company or his former HR Department.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Do you have any questions about this?