Employment Law

Employment Law Questions? Ask an Employment Lawyer.

Employment Law

I'm a little concerned with what is going on at work. I was…

Customer Question
I'm a little concerned...

I'm a little concerned with what is going on at work. I was recently given 3 erroneous errors, which had a very negative impact on my performance review, but after I researched the errors, I found I had done nothing wrong. The person giving me the errors had made mistakes in giving them to me. I brought this to the attention of my supervisor and after she researched them, she also admitted they were given erroneously. So then I asked if this had been brought to the attention of her supervisor and if she would be given an error for making these mistakes and she said yes, she had informed the woman's supervisor of it. The very next week, I was given a total of 5 errors, this time they were legitimate, but I've never received so many errors before in such a short time and I am starting to think this is payback for my having her errors pointed out. I'm afraid my work environment is now hostile. Is this a thing?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Florida

Lawyer's Assistant: Has anything been filed or reported?

Can you be more specific? Filed where, to whom? I reported these errors to my supervisor, who in turn reported it to the woman who gave me the errors. But now that I've been given 5 more, and they are legitimate errors that I made, I don't know what to say other than I feel I'm being targeted now.

Submitted: 6 months ago.Category: Employment Law
8/7/2017
Employment Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Attorney replied 6 months ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
If they are retaliating against you for filing your complaint, it would potentially be a hostile work environment HAD THE 5 ERRORS NOT BEEN TRUE ERRORS. However, just because the person reviewing the errors became more diligent, legally if you actually made the errors you could not claim hostile work environment or harassment. Had you not made the 5 other errors, then you would have a legal claim for harassment.
However, legally the courts will not allow an employee to hide behind a claim of retaliation when there is actual truthful reporting of the errors I am afraid.
Please do not forget to leave positive feedback by clicking on the 5 stars at the top of your page, as the experts are not employees of the site and get no credit for spending time with customers unless they leave positive feedback. Thank you.
Law Educator, Esq., Attorney