Employment Law

Employment law questions? Ask an employment lawyer.

Can my employer terminate me because I have been diagnosed…

Customer Question
Can my employer terminate...

Can my employer terminate me because I have been diagnosed with cancer for the fourth time?

Lawyer's Assistant: Because employment law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?

Michigan

Lawyer's Assistant: Is the employment agreement "at will," union, full time or part time?

At will

Lawyer's Assistant: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?

Full time

Submitted: 9 months ago.Category: Employment Law
8/6/2017
Employment Lawyer: Loren, Lawyer replied 9 months ago
Loren, Lawyer

I am Loren, a licensed attorney for over 30 yrs. Thank you for your patience as I review the question. I will post my response shortly.

Before we begin a bit more detail would be helpful please.

1. Do you have a written employment agreement for a fixed term requiring cause for termination, discipline or demotion?

2. Do you believe you were treated differently than other employees due to your race, religion, ethnicity, etc.?

3. Had you previously requested FMLA or a "reasonable accommodation" under ADA?

4. Did your employer give a reason for the termination?

Tina, Lawyer